Many Americans water as “wet” and do not consider much about its traits. Due to this many residential areas have to bear the consequences of water’s awful characteristics like hardness.
Water hardness is the measure of minerals deposition in water mainly calcium and magnesium ions that are naturally dissolved in water. According to the reports of the US Geological Survey, 80 percent of Americans consume hard water. The agency said that few regions like New England, the South Atlantic Gulf, Northwest Pacific States, and Hawaii have soft water access. While regions like Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, Arizona, and South California are the extremely hard water zone.
No matter where you live or what is the water source whether groundwater or Municipal Corporation Supply hard water can be an issue. Buying a water softener can tone down these problems as the ion exchange process eliminates Ca and Mg ions with Sodium ions which ultimately softens the water. There are varieties of water softeners available in the market but always check genuine water softener reviews before buying.
Do I have hard water? How to know that I need a water softener?
Hard water signals are easy to understand all need to do is always keep your eye open. Here are the tell tale signs that you need a water softener for your home.
- Scale buildup: Lime scaling or minerals deposition can be seen on coffee makers, kettles, dinnerware, cookware or glassware. When water gets evaporated a thin chalky film is left behind which is difficult to remove. The worst lime scaling is in the heaters, boilers, and dishwashers as well as plumbing system that costs huge sum for repairs.
- High Utility Bills: What was your utility bill last month? High right. It is because of scaling on the plumbing system. Pipes get clogged due to which heating systems have to apply force to push water through. Hence, boilers, water heaters, and AC all appliances that are water-based consume more energy.
- Dirty Laundry: Hard water has impacts laundry adversely. The high mineral content causes clothes stiffness. Detergents do not work well and leave stains behind. This leads to clothes damage and dullness. Clothes feel stained even after washing it with costly detergents. Well, it is not your fault it is due to hard water. There are certain strong detergents in the market that are made to work with hard water. Water consumption and energy wastage increases due to this issue.
- Dry Skin and Hair: Hairs and skin dryness is the first thing you may notice while using hard water. Many complain about hair fall and roughness due to hard water. Minerals in hard water deposits on skin and scalp causing itchiness and dryness. Applying moisturizer, again and again, resolves problem temporarily.
- Smelly and Awful water: You might have noticed water smelling or tasting terrible. It is a sign of water contamination due to bacterial growth.
Your water could resemble metallic, moldy or fishy. Like metallic taste is due to high iron sediments or smells rotten egg because of hydrogen sulfide gas etc.
What will water softeners do?
Water softeners systems are tailored to remove hard ions from the water to make it soft and usable. This process is called ion exchange.
There are different types of softeners available in the market. Ask for professional advice to purchase water softeners for your home. If you don’t want to go anywhere you can check authentic websites. As there are some websites provide the best water softener reviews that are helpful in choosing a system without going anywhere.
Do I need a water softener?
Get your home water tested or look at the signs mentioned above it will assure whether you need a water softener or not. Every home is different so is the water. Water softeners purchase depends on the water quality, mineral type, and hardness level.
If any symptoms mentioned is found in your home you definitely need a water softener. It will eradicate all water-related problems and will bring drastic changes in your daily chores. However, hard water may not necessarily be harmful to your health but your possessions are always on a stake. Don’t wait and get a water softener now.
Any suggestions or queries write to us in the comment section below.